Identifying roof problems is one of the most difficult tasks for contractors to accomplish, especially from the ground. There are a few signs of an impending roofing disaster that you can spot from the ground. However, it’s always a good idea for building inspectors to fully investigate a roof, including by getting up there, to ensure every problem is spotted and to get a complete picture of the situation.
Roof cladding usually lasts around 30 years before it needs to be replaced. If the roof is leaking and it’s not near the end of its lifecycle, it’s an indication of a major problem that needs addressing.
Leaks can be caused by:
- Weather related damage
- Timber frame movement
- Lack of sufficient maintenance
Roofing disasters often occur when minor damage occurs and is not addressed. Repairing roof leaks promptly is extremely important as any water than enters the house will cause significant structural damage.
Sagging Roof and Warped Ceilings
Sagging or uneven roof lines and warped ceilings are an indication there is some kind of issue with the roof structure, such as:
- Termite damage
- Incorrect sizing of timber framing
- Removal of load bearing walls
- Overloading of supporting members over time
If a sagging roof is accompanied by other damage such as wall and ceiling cracks, it’s a sign the overall structure of the property may be compromised.
Issues with the Flashing
Flashing is crucial for providing a watertight seal between roofing materials, roof sections and other parts of the building. Incorrect installation, attachment or sealing of the flashing will allow water to enter the roof structure causing significant damage.
- Other problems related to the flashing include:
- Insufficient height, overlap or number of base-flashing piles
- Poor adhesion
- Incorrect fastening to the surface
- Loose insulation below
- Deteriorated counter flashing
- Insufficient coating or finishing of metal surfaces
- Standing water behind penetration curbs
Design related problems with your roofing are the most expensive to correct but it needs to happen. If the structure supporting the roof is too weak, it might warp or deflect excessively under active loads.
Other examples include:
- Incompatible roof materials
- Improper design and installation of flashing
- Incorrect system to allow expansion and contraction of changes in deck material or changes in direction
- Improper roof slope, sagging roof or inadequate drainage resulting water accumulating
Any corrections to design problems should take place while undergoing the replacement of the roofing material.
Looking for Premium Roofing Supplies in Brisbane?
When it comes to building long lasting, high quality roofing, inorganic roofing materials like steel is better than using organic materials like asphalt shingles. At Rollsec, we provide premium metal roofing products to customers across Brisbane. Our range of steel products includes affordable and durable pre-painted roofing from Unicote Steel.
Call us today on 07 3267 7171 to discuss your requirements or contact us online.