The choice between UniCote Steel roofing and tile roofing is the classic choice between two virtual opposites. If you’re trying to make a choice between these two different types of roofing, there are a few things you need to know. We’re going to give you a quick but useful overview of the different things to look for in your evaluation of UniCote Steel and tiles.
The Big Differences
The core differences are:
- The Look: Roof tiles are pretty basic, designed to go with fairly conventional roofing designs. Steel roofing is more flexible and easier to adapt to modern house designs, which often include shallow angle roofing and quite complex multiple-roofing designs like upper storey attics, lofts, etc.
- The cost: This is the other main consideration. Steel roofing like UniCote Steel is priced very competitively. Tile roofing tends to be priced according to the market. This means baseline prices can vary depending on supply and demand. If it’s concrete roofing rather than terracotta, it’s cheaper, but it also depends on which tiles you want.
- Architectural considerations: This is one of the less obvious issues. The weight of a roof can be considerable. You know how heavy a bag of concrete is. With concrete tiles, you’re putting that sort of weight on your roof supports. This can translate into extra costs for supports, particularly for larger areas. Steel roofing simply doesn’t have that problem as is it a very lightweight system.
- Installation: This is one area where steel roofing and tiles are totally different. Steel roofing is quick and easy to install but tile roofing is very labour-intensive. Tile roofing requires more battens and the tiles are secured by tying off which is very time consuming. The installation of rainwater systems for both steel and tile roofs is similar.
- Insulation: Insulation is a very important inclusion in any roof and it provides a huge range of benefits. Steel roofing is often insulated using blanket which provides the benefits of heat reduction in summer, keeping your home warmer in winter and it also provides a moisture barrier. Blanket also stops the noise of the expansion and contraction of the roof. Blanket cannot be installed on tile roofing and alternatively foil and batts would be used in its place.
- Maintenance: Steel roofing doesn’t need a lot of maintenance. It’s easily maintained at a lower price than tiles. Tile roofing is largely a question of replacement, which can be expensive if the tiles have suffered serious damage. The other quite serious cost consideration relates to time. A steel roof can be totally replaced very quickly, while a tile roof may require a major time and cost investment.
Choosing between UniCote Steel and Tiles
As you can see, there are quite a lot of bottom line issues to consider when making your choice. It’s very strongly recommended to do your homework and consult with your roofing suppliers before spending a cent. You’ll get useful, practical information, a quote, and helpful advice about your roofing options. (This is also a good opportunity to ask questions, get the support services you need, and solve problems.)
Looking for New Roofing in Brisbane?
Rollsec is your instant solution for metal roofing supplies in Brisbane. If you’d like some help choosing your roofing, call us or contact us online. We’re happy to provide all the products and services you need.